Brief Berlin Trip

Late last year, I went to Berlin for a short work trip. I didn't have much time to really go around the city as I was there mainly for work. However, I managed to see the main sites (most of it, some from afar) in that short amount of time. I guess what really amazed me was the history. I never imagined in my life that I would get to go here so it's so surreal to see remnants of the east and west that once divided the country, yes the line dividing it is still there, not to mention memories of the dark past. I was also able to see the actual sight of the book burning, as seen in the movie, The Book Thief.

Special mention is the many Dunkin Donut chains I see around the city, yes I miss this chain and even if DD is now in London, they are never the same especially the munchkins. The German chocolates are also creamier I think so I got loads of them to bring as pasalubong and personal supplies (lol). I also grabbed the chance because they are cheaper over here. 

Another place worth mentioning is the famous Hotel Adlon where the late Michael Jackson once dangled his baby (Blanket) on the hotel window. Close to the hotel is the city's famous landmark, the Bradenburg Gate. There was not much time though that I was not able to see the parliament building, Reichstag, only from afar. 

Of course, last but not the least, the linden trees lining along the streets are so magical at that time of the year. 


Some German TV

Bebelplatz - the actual site of the book burning, as seen in the movie, The Book Thief

THE AMPELMANN
This is the symbol shown on pedestrian signals in the former East Germany and is still seen in parts of Berlin. Unfortunately, I was only able to take this picture from the shop which is dedicated to this icon and forgot to take a picture of the real thing, which was still visible on the area I stayed in. 

The Berlin Bear

Bradenburg Gate (Bradenburger Tor)

The famous Adlon Hotel where the famous Michael Jackson video/photograph was taken (and more likely it's one of the windows here)

Holocaust-Mahnmal (The Memorial to the Murdered Jews of Europe aka Holocaust Memorial)

The remains of  the Berlin Wall

If you see the line in the middle - it used to divide the east and west

There was actually a premiere for the latest Bond movie at the Sony Center

The Fernsehturm (BerlinTV Tower) as seen from Alexanderplatz for some last minute shopping

Metro close to the hotel and office. 

Definitely got lots of chocolate for pasalubong...favorites are Ritter Sport and Merci which are really cheap compared to the UK. 

Variety of munchkins...yum

The linden trees in autumn

Danke!














Comments

Popular Posts