The Mango Experiment and Some More Ube Tips

So in continuation to my last post, I had an experiment the other day. I made some mango cake with the same recipe but this time, I used the mango butter cream icing. I was just a bit disappointed with the cake as it wasn't as fluffy as I expected which might be due to some yolk mixed with my egg whites. I gotta be more careful next time. My buttercream icing was okay although I still wanted to achieve a more smooth finish. But overall it wasn't that bad as my butter cream frostings have always been a little runny lately. I have not been using buttercream for a long time. But the recipe I used called for more icing sugar which I think is required for a more stable frosting. However you need to sacrifice the sweetness (which is too much of it) for stability. The verdict? I think it was a bit sweet for my taste (as well as to my hubby who is the official tester of all my cake experiments). I think I'll stick to the cream frosting for now until I come up with a not-so-sweet butter cream or better yet if I can try the Swiss meringue butter cream and be successful at it. I just feel a bit intimidated to try it. For the design/decoration, I used mango pulp as there are no fresh mangoes available here at this time of the year. I also tried the canned mangoes before but they were more pulpy/hairy.



Last night, I have also created some tips in ube cake baking and decorating after I made an ube cake order. It was from one of those who ordered for New Year and they are ordering again because they loved my ube cake when they first tried it. Good thing I was able to find one ube extract in stock as it is not available at the moment here in the Filipino store close to where I live. I was so close to cancelling some ube cake orders as I never expected all holiday orders were mostly for that cake.













Comments

Popular Posts