Thursday's Covent Garden Market (London Eats for the Week)




I had some last minute changes for this week's London Eats feature. I was supposed to have another Asian food on the menu but decided to take a break on my usual Asian lunch and have a go at the famous Covent Garden market. With the rainy weather lately, I'm not sure if the Thursday food market is still on at Covent Garden. It's usually a habit of mine to try the different stalls but I was not able to do it quite recently because of the weather. There's really some food that I would like to try but the long queues just discourage me given that I'm only on my lunch break. I'm sure the food from those stalls are really good because the queues have always been that way. One that caught my eye is the American pulled pork..well maybe next time. For now, here are some of my discoveries so far.


I did not actually notice that it was Jamie Oliver's until I saw this again the following week. It was the only hot dog stand on site and I would really like to try one. The sausage (as they call it here) was juicy and full of flavour. It's been so long since I ate it so I can't remember if the bread was any good but I'm sure it was soft. I may have another try next time but I'll make sure to skip the horseradish sauce because it was so damn hot and too spicy for my taste.


I so love this crispy, juicy duck roast filling which was well complemented by the rocket and mustard. Their bread roll is sort of made of  Ciabatta bread (or so I think) which is one of my favourite breads. The size was just perfect for me although it was just a bit pricey to be honest.


I haven't tried the desserts yet but I would love to try their rainbow cake soon. I have also tried the empanadas but was not able to take a snap. It wasn't as yummy as I thought but they weren't so expensive either so I guess I don't have to expect much.



Another good find in Covent Garden which is not part of the market but is permanently inside the Piazza is Ben's Cookies. I tried this after being highly recommended by a work colleague. They have so many flavours to choose from and since I'm a fan of soft cookies, this one's a winner for me. Of course, Covent Garden also houses the famous French macarons of  Laduree as well the bakery of model turned chef Lorraine Pascale. I've tried her cupcakes before in our office afternoon tea and man, they were good. It used to be Ella's Cupcakes and when I returned from maternity leave, it became The Cupcake House, which I thought was a new bakeshop but they actually just changed the name.


Comments

Popular Posts