Countdown to Isla's Birthday PART DEUX


To continue on the monthly celebs, I made the last of the tedious (and to say the least ambitious) cake art. I now tried the ribbon/ruffle cake. I only used a one layer chocolate cake with still the same recipe. The only downside on my end is I only had a small petal tip which made the "ribbons" look more like thick, flat noodles. It would also be better if I had a higher cake next time. Again as this was only my first try, I used some left over cream cheese frosting on the sides (which surprisingly was able to hold the ribbons) and then some buttercream on top. Of course, it's still the same blue frosting because from what I remember that was the only food colouring I got left on my cupboard. Then I added some cute buntings on top which I also made myself using some gift wrapper cut-outs.


I have to say this was my least favourite cake as it was a planned pink cake gone wrong. Haha. I used the vanilla cake recipe then I'm supposed to put on some pink buttercream frosting on top which looked peach instead. I just added some chocolate curls on top which were made by scraping off a baking chocolate bar with a peeler. Overall I'm not so proud of this cake as this was sort of a design disaster. :(


For the last of the celebrations, I wanted to make something different and I started to think out of the box. I've been wanting to try this for so long (in fact I've bought the ice cream cones way back) and now was the chance. For the nth time, the base is the chocolate cake. Then you just have to pour the mixture on the ice cream cones which will serve as cupcake cases (and you'll also eat this time). Just put the cones on a baking pan so that they won't get knocked down during baking as they are not so stable. I've also learned that it's better to bake them altogether rather than in batches because as the oven gets hotter, the cones sort of burn (or maybe it's just my hot oven). When cool, cover with frosting (just like ice cream) and top with sprinkles, chocolate buttons, millions or any of those ice cream-y toppers.



Comments

Popular Posts