Countdown to Isla's Birthday PART 1

This post has long been overdue and Isla is actually more than a year old (almost 13 months as of press time) but I just need to finish what I started since I posted her first four months' celebrations. I am also aware that I've been inactive for a few months now. I got back to work after almost a year of maternity leave and I have to say it has been tough being a working mum (and full time working parents at that). My in-laws are also here so we've also been going to a few places. Anyway, let's roll on with the count down.


I have actually written a separate post about Isla's first Christmas and fifth month. Here, I just used the same carrot cake recipe but used cream frosting instead (using the recipe from this post minus the oreos) so that it would be easier to pipe the roses. Please note that more frosting maybe required in order to achieve the roses effect. You can just check You Tube on how to pipe the roses. To have a better effect, use a 1M tip (which I still didn't have at the time I made this).


For January, I continued my tedious, Pinterest-inspired cake frenzy. I made a simple chocolate cake and spent a huge amount of my time frosting it. Of course, it was my usual recipe including the mocha frosting disguised in blue buttercream (which is actually leaning more on teal rather than blue). You can see the step-by-step guide from Pinterest on how to do the petals using a big round tip and finishing it with the back of a teaspoon. Since this was my first time, I made a one-layer square cake then sliced it in the middle to make a two-layer rectangular cake. I just wanted to be on the safe side in case this won't come through but hopefully it did (phew!). This was also the first time the we gave Isla the liberty to do whatever she wants with the cake and play (or taste/eat) the icing and sort of make it into a smash cake (which she didn't really smash under our watchful eye...carpet alert!).


For her seventh month, it was still the same chocolate cake above but now covered it in chocolate ganache (baking chocolate and double cream) and added the extra cream cheese frosting in the design (I think they were some left-overs from a carrot cake order which gave me the spider web idea).  Before, I designed the spider web in a circular pattern in this post so I now tried making lines and applied the design alternately for the web effect. There was also some left over chocolate ganache which I've spread on baking paper then left until frozen into a hard and thin chocolate topper where I put my lettering.


Since it's also March and Easter, I made a theme for this month and had the butter cupcakes instead. This was also a good excuse to try my new grass tip. I used the same blue colouring (with the teal effect from above lol) and got some Cadbury chocolate eggs on top. Although not clear on the photo, my cupcake cases were Cath Kidston-inspired vintage roses from Robert Dyas. They're just so cute, I love them and I will get more of these cupcake cases next time. Not bad for £1.99 because there were many of them and I was still able to use them for my other cupcakes.

I've used the cases for my banana muffins too. 

Comments

Popular Posts