New Year, New Recipe

Happy New Year! I'd like to start my first post in 2013 with a simple recipe. I've been wanting to do this for ages but never had the chance. I saw this on Food Network being done by Nigella and Thomasina, who both showed how easy it is to make home made churros. This is also one of my favorite snacks and I definitely missed eating these. The last time I ate churros was when we went to Paris and I got them from one of the street food vendors close to the Eiffel Tower. The perfect time to make them came yesterday when I already ran out of eggs and I need to make something for my hubby's baon the next day. I haven't done the online grocery yet so I had to make use of the available ingredients at home so this churros idea popped into mind (since no eggs are used). There are other churros recipes though that use eggs.

I have tweaked the original recipe (found here) by adding about a tablespoon of sugar (which I got from other recipes in You Tube). I also halved the ingredients since I'm making them for the first time and I'm not sure if it would be a success or a fail (lucky for me it turned out okay and it was easier than I thought). I also thought that churros with cinnamon sugar then dipped in chocolate sauce is too much on the sweetness scale so instead, I ended up with two types, the plain churros to be dipped in a pool of rich dark chocolate and the other ones rolled in sugar. There is also another method of boiling the water and butter together and I have yet to try it in the future to see if which churros taste better so watch this space. For now, you can try this simple recipe.


What you need (aside from the basic mixing tools):
A pair of kitchen scissors
Icing bag
Large star tip nozzle
Frying pan or deep fryer

Ingredients:
4 tbsp caster sugar (I used granulated sugar since I don't have this available)
1/2 tbsp cinnamon

50g dark chocolate
1/2 tbsp golden syrup
1/4 to 1/2 c double cream

1 cup flour
1 1/2 tbsp sugar
a pinch of salt
1 cup boiled water
2 tbsp olive or vegetable oil

vegetable oil for deep frying

Mix the caster sugar and cinnamon together and set aside. In a double broiler or hob, melt the chocolate together with the double cream and golden syrup. Check from time to time to prevent the chocolate from burning. Stir continuously until you have a thick chocolate sauce. You may need to reheat the sauce after the churros are done.

Sift the flour then mix with salt and sugar. After making a well in the centre of the mixture, pour the boiled water and oil. Beat the mixture and make sure that no lumps are left. Let the dough rest for about ten minutes.

Heat the oil in the pan or heavy bottomed sauce pan. Whilst waiting for the oil to be hot enough for deep frying (you may test this by dropping a small amount of dough), put the dough in a piping bag with a large star tip nozzle. Squeeze the bag and add the dough directly into the hot oil. Once you have the desired length (which isn't too long compared to the original churros), cut the dough using your kitchen scissors. Repeat the procedure. Don't put too many churros for frying as they tend to stick together (maybe about 3-4 is enough). Fry until crispy and golden brown then drain in a kitchen towel.

Once drained, roll half of the churros in the cinnamon sugar. The plain half can be dipped into the chocolate sauce. If you don't mind the sinfully sweet combination of cinnamon sugar plus chocolate dip, then you can roll all of your churros in the sugar mixture.

Comments

Popular Posts