Brownie Points

This is one of the recipes that I'm really proud of. I tried this several times until I was able to perfect the right consistency of the brownies (according to my standards). I like my brownies to be chewy and gooey, not dry and cakey (which has been the result of several failed attempts; unfortunately, I have to throw them away because no one would eat them - not even me). I remember that my first attempt ages ago was a success but it has been a long time since I baked brownies and when I did it again, all of them turned out to be dry and would not even pass for a good chocolate cake.

After "thorough" research, I finally found the perfect recipe which is a combination of the recipes from Jamie Oliver and Nigella Lawson (well, more of Jamie's). You can find the original recipe here but I tweaked it a bit, halved the ingredients, omitted some and converted the measurements. Before, I thought that the secret is watching your brownies like a hawk whilst inside the oven but when I made this one, it was actually a bit more than the required time. I was really worried because I forgot to check the time and when I saw that the outside was hard, I thought it will turn out like the other failed attempts. I inserted the toothpick first and it looked it was dry (oh no). But viola, it was exactly what I expected it to be - hard on top but inside it's moist, chewy and  gooey. It wasn't under baked or anything like the last one I did (for fear that it would be hard again). You would actually know before you put it in the oven because the mixture is a bit stickier than usual. I also tried the cooking the butter and sugar then adding the dry ingredients but it still turned out dry. In this recipe, I cooked the butter and chocolate (I used baking chocolate bar) in a double broiler. Finally, I've nailed it - it's here and I'm sharing it for everyone to enjoy. Trust me, I can't stop munching on these treats myself. I'll probably double the ingredients the next time I make it, use dark chocolate and maybe put nuts or white chocolate. Don't worry, I will update this post for other variations of this brownie recipe.


Ingredients:

5 tbsp butter
100g chocolate (half a bar of baking chocolate)
1 c sugar
1/2 c cocoa powder
1/2 c flour
1/2 tsp baking soda
pinch of salt
1 egg
1/2 tsp vanilla

Preheat oven to 170C. Melt butter and chocolate in a double broiler (heat proof bowl over a pan of simmering water). Mix until smooth then let cool. In a separate bowl, mix all the dry ingredients and add to the chocolate-butter mixture then stir altogether. Beat egg and add to the mixture along with the vanilla. Pour the mixture into a baking pan and bake for 20-25 minutes. Toothpick may not come out clean but that's okay because it should still be gooey and moist inside. Cool and cut into equal squares.

Comments

Popular Posts