CELEBRATIONS: Birthdays 2012

My hubby and I almost have the same birthdays. Well, almost. I celebrate it on the 5th, he's on the 4th so it has been a tradition that we celebrate it together (and more economical too). On the 4th, we prepared food in the house and I baked two cakes, one for each of us (a chocolate cake for me and carrot cake for him). Too bad we were so busy with the preparations that we did not take a lot of pictures of the food and even the cakes. There was no picture of my chocolate cake, only the carrot cake which was taken by one of our friends. For dinner, I made lumpia, chicken lollipops, sisig (Ilocano style) and lasagna. Just the usual recipe for lumpia and the tedious preparation of the chicken lollipops (whew). I'll post the sisig and lasagna recipes maybe some other time as there were no good pictures of the dishes. And as mentioned earlier, desserts are both cakes and macaroni salad (same recipe as my previous post).

My hubby's birthday carrot cake. The candles were my idea (hehe).  Photo courtesy of our friend.

Flowers for our birthday

Lumpia and chicken lollipops
Sisig Ilokano style on the extreme left and my lasagna on the extreme right (both blurred).
The celebration continued the next day when our close friends visited us. It was my actual birthday and we went out for dinner at Smith and Western. As we were so busy chatting and catching up, we were not able to take a photo of the food we ordered. We got the usual American Western classics like Ribs & Wings with fries, coleslaw and corn. We also shared their appetizer called Ballyhoo Tiger Prawns which were deep fried prawns (quite small through considering prawns here are more likely to be considered as just shrimp back home in terms of size). And so my hubby ordered a second serving which we barely finished. Other orders were Cajun Chicken and Salmon Fillet. My husband wasn't happy about the latter, he said he wished that he has ordered the usual menu instead of fish.

Food was really good (except for my husband who wasn't happy with what he ordered for the main) but the highlight of the evening was getting the Birthday Buster for dessert. We have noticed that almost everyone there ordered this, was it just coincidence that everyone at the resto were celebrating their birthdays or they just wanted to get the gigantic dessert. It is an upgrade of their Belly Buster (only addition is the candle/fireworks and a cowboy hat of your choice, of course I got the pink one). It is a big bowl made of all things sweet and sugary,not to mention fatty, (brownies, ice cream, whipped cream, marshmallows, M&Ms and hot fudge sauce) delivered by the cowboy crew singing Happy Birthday. The name speaks for itself as all four of us (plus a toddler) tried to gobble on the treat but we failed to finish it off. We were so full to begin with and we ordered the dessert more out of curiosity and just to be 'in' as everyone was ordering it and it was really my birthday. All in all it was a great night.

Presenting the Birthday Buster!
Before...
...and after (about 25% left) 


Comments

Popular Posts