After my (not so long) hiatus

I'm back...sorry I haven't been around for quite sometime. I never even had time to post something during the Christmas holidays and New Year because something has made me quite busy lately (I know being busy has always been my excuse). But this time, it's not work or any of my extra activities, it's because we got some really great news (quite a surprise actually).  Yes, there's a bun in the oven so I haven't been feeling well especially during the first trimester, I have just "graduated" from the three months so I'm now feeling a bit better. My hubby has also been preoccupied with photography as he plans to do it as a part time business for birthdays, weddings and stuff. He had his first gig "baptism" last month. I would really love to post some more recipes of the food I prepared during our noche buena but hubby hasn't sorted them out yet. I will also try to post our long overdue Paris holiday pics from November (better late than never).

For now I am posting some very short recipes, one of them enhanced, for the cake and cupcakes I made for a dear friend of mine during her birthday last November and her son's birthday last December. I used the same recipe for my chocolate cake but I have finally discovered the secret to a super moist cake. Yes, even better than buttermilk. It was an accidental discovery slash "scientific" experiment. I was out of buttermilk at that time and I decided to use heavy cream instead. The result? An uber moist chocolate cake. I have never returned to buttermilk since. Sorry. I also made an attempt for my chocolate cake ala Calea (from Bacolod) and found a custard filling recipe online. I am still not perfectly convinced that it tastes like their custard filling but I guess it's close (according to my friend). This is still a work in progress. For now, that'll do. And I finally bought my big icing nozzles for the cupcake frosting and I'm really impressed by my first attempt in designing them. You really have to get those large nozzles to have that effect. My godson's birthday party theme was Mickey Mouse and due to time constraints ,we were not able to get Mickey cupcake toppers online so I improvised a little using Mickey stickers and toothpicks. It turned out great I suppose, as they looked great in the photos. I also used the same recipe for the chocolate cake which made 24 cupcakes (only 23 cupcakes to fill in the stand).

UBER MOIST CHOCOLATE CAKE WITH CUSTARD FILLING



Use the same recipe for my Moist Chocolate Cake but instead of using buttermilk, use double cream still at 1 cup. I have provided the recipe for the custard filling below. For the chocolate frosting, I used 1 bar of baking chocolate and 1 can condensed milk but as you can see, it melts really fast so again, it is still a work in progress.You can try using the usual chocolate frosting or ganache maybe. Or the frosting recipe here. It is the same site for the custard filling. I didn't use my usual chocolate frosting recipe because I want the frosting to be shiny (like Calea's). If you also notice, the cake looks a bit disproportionate because I made the cake at home and since I just baked it after we left, it kind of moved a little so blame it on the travelling.

CUSTARD FILLING:

5 tbsp caster sugar
2 tbsp corn flour (that's corn starch in the Phils)
1/8 tsp salt
350 ml milk (I used skimmed because that's what we have)
2 egg yolks, beaten
2 tsp vanilla (I added this from the original recipe)

In a saucepan, mix the sugar, corn flour and salt. Stir in the milk gradually until the mixture thickens and boils. Stir constantly or else the mixture will burn. Stir half of the mixture into the egg yolks then return the egg yolk mixture into the saucepan. Boil and stir for a minute. Remove from heat and add the vanilla. Cool to room temperature.

!UPDATE!
I have another recipe for custard filling which I'll be posting soon. It uses flour instead of cornstarch (and whole eggs instead of just the egg yolks) but is equally as good as this one. I will post the link here very soon.

MICKEY MOUSE CHOCOLATE CUPCAKES WITH BUTTER CREAM FROSTING



Use the same recipe above for the chocolate cake with the heavy/double cream. For the frosting, I used butter and icing sugar. I really didn't have the exact measurements as I just made sure I had the right consistency for the frosting. Just add any food coloring you  want (I used yellow then a mix of yellow and red for the orange as I didn't have enough red food coloring). For the chocolate frosting, I just added half a bar of chocolate to the butter and sugar. For the improvised Mickey cupcake toppers, I used stickers then put a toothpick in between and inserted them after frosting the cupcakes. You can then just add stars, candies or ready made decorations available. For the frosting, I used a large star tip nozzle (that was the largest I found in the store) and just the basic large nozzle for the chocolate frosting.

Comments

Popular Posts